Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It was bound to happen

Jason’s father finally heard that he’d become a Christian, and under the advice of Jason’s uncle – who warned the father that one day all the children in the family would become Christians if harsh measures aren’t immediately instituted – banished his son from the home. Thank the Lord that Jason had the courage to acknowledge his new faith, and the desire to stand firm. As he informed Mr. Joe and me of this new development yesterday, he also revealed that for over a month he has not been eating anything served in his father’s house, lest one of his own family members try to poison him for becoming a Christian.

We read about situations like this that take place all over the world, so it doesn’t come as a surprise to Mr. Joe or me; but knowing such things happen doesn’t make it any easier to observe, and our telling Jason that such reactions are to be expected doesn’t make it easier for him to live through. It certainly doesn’t seem to help when Amos marches into our office with a big grin and says, “Don’t worry, my brother. Our father just won’t listen. God will take care of you, but I don’t know how.” I tried to offer encouragement from John 16:33 and similar verses, and through my tone of voice conveyed the sympathy that was in my heart, the feeling of “God, does it have to happen this way? Is there any way his circumstances can be turned around?” God later convicted me that I need to just release Jason into His care and stop wanting to shield him from the harshness of life. Once again I am moved to thank the Lord that He is God and I am not.

All the same, please do pray for Jason: may God be merciful to him at this time and fill him spiritually even as his life is being emptied physically.

Thanks for your prayers for our brother in the Lord!

3 comments:

  1. This post brought tears this morning; I know well the internal struggle that "God will... but I don't know how." Thank you for sharing your heart, His reply to your own doubts. I am encouraged by your willingness to trust Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Kelly's blog at {this} restless heart.... am going to follow you so I can keep up with what's happening! I've spent the last 6 months in Benin serving as a nurse with Mercy Ships, and am returning with the ship in January to Togo (we'll be in Lome... super close to the Ghanaian border!) Anyway, just wanted to say hi and let you know I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Leah! I'm so happy to hear that Jason is dedicated enough to go through this rejection from his family. I'll be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete