Every November the Harmattan begins in West Africa: a dry wind that brings tons of dust southward from the Sahara. Visibility becomes quite poor, noses clog, eyes water (not so pleasant); but at least temperatures drop (very pleasant). After several weeks of temperatures in the 90s and 100s, it’s delightful to experience the 70s at day and the 60s at night.The sunrises and sunsets these days are gorgeous through the layers of haze: looking at the sun through such a thick atmosphere can’t really damage the eyes, can it? ;)
Unfortunately, this year’s Harmattan started a day too early. The skies were clear on the 16th, but choked with dust a mere twenty-four hours later, meaning that when I went out to view the famed Leonid show on the 17th, I could only faintly make out the brightest stars, and saw not one meteor. I went out three times and gazed upwards, but the heavens remained silent.
Dust or ice? Haze or snow? Guess I’ve got a few months to figure out which winter weather I prefer. =)
From my comfortable desk in temperate Virginia :) I vote for dust and haze. I got enough snow and ice growing up in New Hampshire to last me for a lifetime.
ReplyDeleteSo will it just stay like this 24/7 until Spring? It looks like fog which I think is so beautiful. :)
ReplyDelete