Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Typical Day – Midday

As soon as we arrive at the center, Yaro heads off to his job at the front desk while Pastor Tirumbu and I go to our offices. I set up my laptop and see whether there’s any internet availability before heading to 8 a.m. staff devotions. If I’m early, I can help set up chairs; if the chairs are set up already, the first-comers are filling the room with music as I walk in. One young man brings his drum, another his accordion, and songs alternate between Twi, English, and the local tribal language. Perhaps two-thirds of the time, I can follow along with the clapping, which sometimes follows an odd (to me as a Westerner) rhythmic pattern. They all seem to know what’s right, so I smile and tap my feet when I can’t clap…and I never cross my legs, which is culturally disrespectful. One or more staff members might be so full of joy that he rises from his seat and praises God in the middle of the circle with a shuffling dance.

Somehow they all seem to know when it’s time to wind down, and often end on a very reverent tune. Then a staff member shares a short devotional s/he’s prepared, with a verse and an explanation; a translation is provided from English to Twi or vice versa; and there is a closing prayer. We all rise with uplifted hands and repeat “May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the sweet fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with us now and forever. Amen.” It’s 8:30, and time to go to work!

I retire to my office and spend the day reading and writing, taking a lunch break if the cafeteria is open, or merely snacking throughout the day. Food in the cafeteria is traditional Ghanaian: rice, cabbage, yam, plantain, and chicken or guinea fowl. If I’m getting too fatigued at my desk, I’ll lock my office and go find a staff member to visit with for a bit until we’re rested enough to return to our jobs. After my American job in HR, it’s odd not to have any regulations regarding the number of hours one must put in. Many of these staff members are here for 10 or 12 hours, so I’m fortunate in that I can generally “call it quits” by 5 p.m. Yaro often stays later and takes a taxi home, so Pastor Tirumbu and I load up and head home.

A girl sweeping with a Ghanaian broom - one of the morning chores I mentioned in my last post that I don't do very efficiently. =D

1 comment:

  1. Worship sounds amazing! I am going to copy the closing prayer for my morning devotions :)

    ReplyDelete