Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Typical Day – Evening

The streets along which we drive each day are congested – not with lots of cars (most people are too poor to own such high-end transportation), although there are a few, generally carrying more passengers than seatbelts – but with motorcyclists and bicyclists and pedestrians, sheep and goats and chickens. Although the most I’ve yet seen on a motorcycle is five people, it’s not unusual to see two or three. Last week I saw a motorcyclist with a goat tied behind him, and two on his lap!

The first order of business once we get home is to go to my room and change into houseshoes. I might wander out and visit/play games with some of the family, or catch up on journaling, or do a little reading. We’re playing a lot of “Memory” these days, and the kids are a whiz: I’m thankful that most of the time I don’t do abysmally, but I do have to exult in the fact that yesterday I WON!! OK, only by a pair, but still: me against three preteens (and Africans tend to have better memories than westerners anyway, even if you take the age factor out), and I won. Just thought you would all like to know. ;)

After I get home is the time to stay indoors, because mosquitoes come out at dusk, and my repellent is fading. Of course, I reapply it if we’re going out for the evening, as we do twice a week: once for a Bible Study, once for a prayer meeting. If we stay in the house, there’s not much to do beyond the previously mentioned visiting, writing, and reading – and, of course, eating a Ghanaian supper with my fingers. I might do some language practice if some in the family feel patient enough to quiz me and correct me. At 9:00 or so I retire and take a cold shower (showers MUST take place at night here; otherwise the sheets would quickly be filthy!). The disco bar down the street is churning out the music, but I have no problem falling quickly asleep. =)

Next up: answers to some of your questions. Can you believe I haven’t been able to comment on my own blog?! (I changed a setting this morning, and hope this will make it easier for all of you as well. This is my first blog, so bear with me as I figure things out, and if any of you blogging whizzes out there have hints – let me know. =) )



Just a random picture of me "helping" with the laundry.
I'll explain the whole process in a later post. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment