Well, many of you appear to be fascinated with the food here! =D No, I haven't been having any cravings for American foods (as I was asked by one of the American university students). And yes, I really, really do like the food here!!
What’s the Strangest Thing You’ve Eaten? Would you believe that the only really odd thing I’ve eaten thus far has been octopus? Rather a random thing to eat in Africa, don’t you think? But apparently they catch them at the coast and ship them up, and octopus is considered a great treat. Have any of you ever eaten it? Octopus has a very strong seafood flavor, and I think the reason I personally find it hard to like is that it has a tough rubbery texture. I keep chewing and chewing, and it’s still not pulverized, and I finally get tired of the taste and just swallow the thing whole. So give me points for trying, but octopus is not among my favorites.
I did narrowly avoid eating fish head. One evening we were each served a whole fish, and as I saw the children breaking off the heads and giving them to Mama Esther, I asked her whether she wanted mine as well. “No, you have to eat it,” she insisted. “It’s part of your orientation.” So I was gingerly working my way up the fish, wondering how much of a fish head was supposed to be eaten, and the children were laughing and chattering – “We’re teaching you to speak Twi!” one of the daughters interjected in English – and to my great relief, before I got too close to the head, Mama Esther asked me to give it to her: she had only been teasing. Whew! But please pray about my silly squeamishness in such situations. I certainly don’t want to be ungrateful for anything people here are so kindly fixing for me!
What’s the Nicest Thing You’ve Eaten? Easy – mango! Much of the fresh fruit here isn’t safe for my consumption, but once or twice a week I eat orange (good), pineapple (great), or mango (marvelous!). We don’t have dessert, so fresh fruit is a nice way to finish a meal. We did have one dessert, called “Mango sticky rice,” that was fixed by a friend: it consists of cooked white rice mixed with coconut milk and sugar and topped with diced mango. Mmm-mmm! Oh – I should also mention that there are single servings of ice cream in the freezer, to which I am always welcome. However, it’s a definite extra, and as the children aren’t allowed to have any, I have had ice cream only 3-4 times, when it’s been served to honored guests.
And finally, I would like to give you a visual demonstration of how to eat the African way - "Look, Ma, all hands!"
What’s the Strangest Thing You’ve Eaten? Would you believe that the only really odd thing I’ve eaten thus far has been octopus? Rather a random thing to eat in Africa, don’t you think? But apparently they catch them at the coast and ship them up, and octopus is considered a great treat. Have any of you ever eaten it? Octopus has a very strong seafood flavor, and I think the reason I personally find it hard to like is that it has a tough rubbery texture. I keep chewing and chewing, and it’s still not pulverized, and I finally get tired of the taste and just swallow the thing whole. So give me points for trying, but octopus is not among my favorites.
I did narrowly avoid eating fish head. One evening we were each served a whole fish, and as I saw the children breaking off the heads and giving them to Mama Esther, I asked her whether she wanted mine as well. “No, you have to eat it,” she insisted. “It’s part of your orientation.” So I was gingerly working my way up the fish, wondering how much of a fish head was supposed to be eaten, and the children were laughing and chattering – “We’re teaching you to speak Twi!” one of the daughters interjected in English – and to my great relief, before I got too close to the head, Mama Esther asked me to give it to her: she had only been teasing. Whew! But please pray about my silly squeamishness in such situations. I certainly don’t want to be ungrateful for anything people here are so kindly fixing for me!
What’s the Nicest Thing You’ve Eaten? Easy – mango! Much of the fresh fruit here isn’t safe for my consumption, but once or twice a week I eat orange (good), pineapple (great), or mango (marvelous!). We don’t have dessert, so fresh fruit is a nice way to finish a meal. We did have one dessert, called “Mango sticky rice,” that was fixed by a friend: it consists of cooked white rice mixed with coconut milk and sugar and topped with diced mango. Mmm-mmm! Oh – I should also mention that there are single servings of ice cream in the freezer, to which I am always welcome. However, it’s a definite extra, and as the children aren’t allowed to have any, I have had ice cream only 3-4 times, when it’s been served to honored guests.
And finally, I would like to give you a visual demonstration of how to eat the African way - "Look, Ma, all hands!"


Never had octopus in Ghana, but did have it in Italy as part of "insulata di mare" (salad of the sea". Insulata di mare was octopus, squid, and mussels (or clams) boiled/steamed, then chilled and served in extra virgin olive oil and Italian seasonings. It actually tasted quite good but the chewiness is not appealing to many. Have you had kinkee (sp?) yet?
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you are getting some interesting foods! What's life without the spice? I enjoyed hearing about the details of your mornings and things like cooking and cleaning.
ReplyDeleteHmm, kinkee doesn't sound familiar, so I think the answer is "no." However, I did have fufu! =D
ReplyDeleteHolly, I'm glad you're enjoying reports about life here...especially since you can picture it all. =)
God's blessings to you both!
Sticky rice and mango was a childhood favorite of George in the Philippines. We recently had it for dessert in a Thai restaurant. I think it's a bit sweet - I like my fresh fruit just as it is. Although ice cream can't be sweet enough ;)
ReplyDelete