As we were preparing to leave the falls, I began to pick up all the trash our group had strewn around the pavilion. One man observing me asked the single word, “Why?” The first retort that came to mind – which I didn’t give =D – was, “Because I’m OCD.” As I thought about it later, I realized it’s because I’m American, and know we are to “Keep America Beautiful.” Now that I’m in Ghana, I want to keep Ghana beautiful too! As we drove back, teens and adults kept throwing plastic wrappers out the windows, and I sat there wondering whether I should be bothered by this, or embrace it as part-and-parcel of my new culture. Should I start throwing my wrappers out the window? ;) Right now I’m having the children in my Sunday school class pick up their litter, but should I?
I’d love to hear your thoughts. =)
One guy was very thoughtful and kept me entertained the whole way back. He sang English worship songs with me the first half of the trip, then pulled out his laptop – the same one that had belted out the music at the picnic grounds – and we played Monopoly the second half. How’s that for an African pastime?
Do you realize what a blessing it is to praise God with others in a tongue you understand? I had never before personally understood what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 14, when he’s discussing tongues; but now I do! He says, “I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say ‘Amen’ to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?” There’s been a lot of singing with my spirit in my life recently, and I praise God when I can sing to Him with my mind as well. =)
Don't forget to leave a comment with your opinion on the ethics of littering. =D
My thought is that it is fine to teach the children to pick up their litter. As for adults, if I were you, I would not speak to them about it but simply continue to pick up my own litter. If someone asks why, it might be an opportunity to explain our custom, although often neglected by many, of "keeping America beautiful", and then suggesting that, since you love Ghana so much, you want to keep Ghana beautiful as well.
ReplyDeleteInteresting thoughts. I think you're doing things right, Leah. It seems that neatness is part of God's general mandate to subdue the world that He has given us. I think that picking up trash shows respect to others by giving more beautiful and sanitary surroundings. Also, an orderly lifestyle makes us generally more efficient. And at some point, littering affects the animals that God has given us dominion of.
ReplyDeleteThat said, Buffalo Bill has great ideas on how to handle things cross-culturally. That's much more important than my thoughts above. :)
Interesting post, Leah! It sounds like you are doing well. :)
Catherine
I do think littering is wrong. We know that God created the earth, and because we love and fear (respect) him we should want to take care of the earth he created. All of Gods creation is beautiful, therefore we should do all we can to keep it that way. I think you can set an example as well as explain to them the beauty and wonder of God's creation.
ReplyDeleteThe first thought that came to my mind is that if you make the mess you should clean it and not leave the task to someone else. However, I know how difficult it is for those of us who have taskmaster tendencies to not clean up someone else's mess just because it's right in front of our face. It's somewhat shameful for me when someone else has to come and clean up my mess. I wonder if the people watching you felt that or if it was just surprise, like, 'look at that crazy lady!' I think to some people it just doesn't even occur to them that there is a mess that needs to be cleaned up. What I think might be a mess on my kitchen counter is nothing more than my husband's organization of his papers.
ReplyDeleteDarling Leah - I think you are doing exactly what you should be by way of teaching the children how to do it. However, as Bill suggested, I also would not say anything to the adults, unless it is something about which they question you. The way Bill explained it is perfect. Yes, you are immersed in their culture, but that doesn't mean you can't share some of yours with them as well. I wouldn't let it offend you when you see them do it... you cannot "fix" everyone, however, having a direct impact of the next generation is a perfect place to start. =]
ReplyDeleteAnd from a different perspective . . .
ReplyDeleteI don't disagree with what has been said in other comments. But I suggest that we all remember that littering and income are very closely related. That is, a poorer country is far more trashy than a rich country. Why? When your children are starving, a little litter on beside the road is way down on your priority list. The lesson is generalizable to virtually all environmental "problems." If you want to clean up the environment, allow people to become rich. And what is the best way to enable people to become rich? Get rid of socialist and corrupt governments, and enforce free markets and property rights.
Thank you one and all for your comments. =) I'm heartened and encouraged in my personal non-littering habits, and will continue to gently train my Sunday school class to notice and dispose of litter. And next time I have an opportunity to replace a corrupt socialist government with one that will protect property rights, I'll be sure to do so. ;)
ReplyDelete~ Leah
This to litter or not to litter has been an issue for us as well. We don´t litter...although everyone else does. However we do throw out our plastic bottles especially in the poor villages around since these are picked up and ´recycled´ either by truly being recycled or by being used in a household to hold water, etc. Also whenever we have ´litter´ that we think someone might want we put it in a box or bag BESIDE the dumpsters so that those who dig through the trash won´t have any trouble finding the ´good stuff´. One man´s trash is another man´s treasure is so true here. Things we think NO ONE would want are taken and used.
ReplyDelete