One of the ways that my family and I keep in touch with each other is through skype. It’s not unusual to be dropped 3-4 times in a 15-minute conversation, but we bear with the internet glitches because at least we can see each other and hear one another’s voices.
Yesterday we spoke for 1 1/3 hours, and the connection was dropped only once. Was that an awesome birthday gift, or what?! =D When we hung up, it was hard for me to stop praising and thanking God. I know that you, my friends, were praying for me that day and wanted to let you know of this marvelous way the day was made special. =)
Another way He made it special was arranging for jollof rice and plantain – my two favorites! – to both be served for supper! No one here knew it was my birthday, and rice and plantain are completely different starchy bases for meals: they are never served together. Except last night, with more of that flaky white fish. Mmm-mmm!
Best of all (OK, to be honest, tied for best: talking with the family was pretty sweet), I was in God’s house yesterday, worshiping Him and praising Him for all His goodness. Still can’t understand many of the songs, but I know the people who are singing them, and I know that God is delighting in their praises.
These have been golden days in my life, as I learn more and more of the language and am able to communicate more and more with the people I meet. Several times now I’ve walked home from the office to the house (4-5 miles, I think: I’m not good at estimates!) and am making more and more friends along the way. That’s a lot of saying “more and more,” but it expresses the abundance of the life God’s given for right now. =) Aside from the internet, I haven’t been in contact with westerners for two weeks as of today, and God is abundantly meeting my fellowship needs through my Ghanaian brothers and sisters. Thanks for YOUR prayers, which I know are making these days such a blessing.
Tomorrow two of my Ghanaian brothers and I plan to visit a village where there are plans to construct an orphanage. My role will be photographer and writer, as I work with area leaders to complete a grant request which we hope will secure the funding needed for the orphanage. Please pray for our success!
And one more prayer request: please pray that the rains in this area would stop now. Many places are experiencing flooding, which can be just as devastating as drought if left unchecked.
Thanks again for all your care, love, and prayers. God is good ALL the time, and He’s using you to show it!
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, Leah! So glad to hear you are doing well. That is awesome that God is blessing you!
You're in my prayers!
Brittany
Glad you had a wonderful birthday and that you are doing so well adjusting to life in Ghana. Love you bunches.
ReplyDelete