Neither Africa nor America is perfect when it comes to social values. Polygamy is widespread in Ghana, but divorce is rampant in the States. Social workers can be too intrusive in America, but Ghanaian children are often subject to cruel canings that leave them badly bruised.
My little Christian friend “Atessa” – the schoolgirl whose taxi fare I paid – visited me at the house soon after we’d met. At first she answered my gentle getting-to-know-you questions briefly, but suddenly the words came pouring forth and she talked for several minutes without interruption!
Atessa is a half-orphan who lives with her uncle and aunt and has not seen her mother in four years, nor met the three half-siblings who have been born since she came north. Of course, I am being told only Atessa’s part of the story, but she says the aunt wishes Atessa were gone so the aunt’s own family members could stay in the home in Atessa’s place. Because the aunt resents Atessa’s presence in the house, she often beats the girl harshly for small infractions. “Sometimes my heart is filled with so much bitterness,” Atessa confessed quietly.
As we continued talking, Atessa also revealed that she struggles with her math, and her uncle refuses to hire a tutor to help her understand the bane of her existence: percentages!
The next day God prepared the way for me to serve her in two ways. We first discussed forgiveness and bitterness, and I was able to share Scriptures with her, encourage her to hold on to God’s goodness in the midst of difficult circumstances, and pray aloud for her. Then we opened her math book and worked through problems, and I gave her different methods and tips for avoiding errors until she felt confident that she understood the concepts.
Earlier this week, Atessa and I again shared a taxi. “Did you work on some more problems?” I asked eagerly. She grinned broadly in answer, for she now grasps percentages.
May the lessons on percentages open her heart to the lessons on bitterness. Atessa has so much potential, and I’d love to see her become a whole-hearted woman of God…one who has truly given her Shepherd full control of her life. =)
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
PRAISE THE LORD! I see Him written all over this. Thanks for letting Him work through you. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete