One of the little side ministries I’ve discovered God’s giving me is that of encouraging some of the Christians who comprise a minority in this region. It’s been delightful to see how He has put us in each other’s paths.
“…I give You full control! Wherever You may lead, I will follow…” I thrilled to hear the schoolgirl ahead of me sing the words, and quickened my pace to catch up with her and join in the singing. She smiled at me as she continued to sing un-self-consciously, and we ended up in the same taxi.
The next morning, there she was as soon as I stepped out of the house: we smiled in recognition and again took the same taxi. “You sit up front,” she urged, but I joined her in the back and made introductions. “Where do you go to church?” I asked, and she told me. “Will you come with me one Sunday?” she asked. “I might,” I smiled, then felt prompted to bless this young sister in the Lord. “To celebrate the fact that we have just met each other,” I said, “I’ll pay your taxi fare this morning, OK? Driver, I’m paying for my friend here,” and he nodded in the rear-view mirror.
We stopped for another passenger: this was the third time I’d shared a taxi with the young woman who slipped in beside me, and I knew she worked in my district. “We keep seeing each other: I’m Leah,” I introduced myself. She smiled and introduced herself in turn. “It’s a Christian name,” I exclaimed. “Are you a Christian?” She nodded. “Me too!”
When we reached our destination and got out together, imagine my surprise to discover that she paid the driver for both our fares! What a cool testimony to the driver of the love Christians have for one another.
Recently I discovered that one of my friends-that-I’ve-made-on-my-walk is a Christian: she was delighted to find out that I serve the same Lord she does, and is careful to make sure we visit each time I pass.
It is a joy to befriend Christian and Muslim alike as I wend my way through town. Please pray that God will use these personal contacts to bear much fruit to His glory!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment