Monday, April 26, 2010

More Instructions on Speaking Ghanaian

* Use the phrase “this thing” instead of “whatchamacallit,” e.g. “Leah, please give me the this thing,” or, “You put it on the this thing.”
* Say “in fact” in lieu of “yes” to affirm something that was just said – e.g., “I guess he was disappointed when he couldn’t come.” “In fact!” or “She told me you were up late on Saturday.” “In fact.”
* Don’t talk of turning water off and on, but of opening and closing water.
* You don’t “turn off” a light or fan, you just “off” it; and you don’t “peel” an egg, you “unpeel” or “open” it.
* What Americans call napkins are called tissue here, and what Americans call dish towels are called napkins in Ghana.
* This one’s my favorite: When asked “How are you doing?” instead of “Fine,” answer “By God’s grace I’m well,” or “By His grace I’m managing.”

One last reminder about living in Ghana: when the internet is down so you can’t post as scheduled…just be patient. =)

4 comments:

  1. I love posts like this! Thanks for passing it on.

    I like the "in fact" idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I read about a Southern idiom which I have used and not heard all my life. The writer is also from Mississippi and was surprised to learn that people from other areas considered the usage to be less than mainstream.

    In a statement indicating one of two possible outcomes, the choice is stated as "one." As an example: I am going to have my hair colored or cut, one.

    Also, I have heard myself unthinkingly say unpeel or unthaw, don't know why, because I know better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you think about it, unpeel makes a lot more sense. It's all about what you're used to. =D

    What you say about referring to an option as "one" is very interesting. Not sure that I'd heard that one before...probably because I'm not from the deep South. ;)

    ReplyDelete