The distance between the Tirumbus’ house (where I’m staying) and the office is at least five miles – approximately two miles from the house to the town, and three miles from the town to the office. Although I often walk one or both of these segments, I can also choose to take a taxi ride for either part of the journey, switching at the taxi junction in town. Each leg of the journey can cost 30 pesewas (21 cents) if I want to walk a bit between the origin and the pickup point, or 40 pesewas (28 cents) if I’d rather drop closer to my destination. Naturally I always choose the 30-pesewa options: why spend seven cents just to save a four-minute walk?! This makes a to-and-from roundtrip each day total a whopping 1.2 cedis, or 84 cents. As often as possible, of course, I do walk to save that fare…and to meet people, practice the language, get exercise, etc. ;)
A section of “Taxi Run” – filled with wrecks, strewn with litter, swarming with little hawkers, and oh-so-familiar!
Last night the second taxi I rode home reeked of gasoline for the entire eight-minute trip home (remember, the taxis don’t go very fast). The smell was so strong that I was literally praying that we wouldn’t burst into flame as we went along! And the night before, I noticed a red light kept flashing on the dash…and realized after a bit that it was the handbrake light: the brake pedal wasn’t working, so the driver was making another option work. Well, we arrived safe and sound!
The driver of this taxi didn’t even use a key to start; he just fiddled with some of the wires, and off we went. Note also the cracked windshield and mirror, missing headrests, and ubiquitous Muslim talisman.
The first car I owned didn't use a key to start either; we used a screwdriver to press some wires together. The one time my brother got pulled over by the police, they were rather suspicious :)
ReplyDeleteLeah's Adventures in Africa: you don't have to go out of your way to find them, do you?
ReplyDelete-- SJ
Sara - no, I don't. =)
ReplyDeleteDarren - I laughed at the suspicious police. Rather hard to blame them, isn't it?