Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Did you really need to know this?

“Africans have the biggest bathroom in the world,” Pastor Tirumbu has said several times (think outside the box to understand his comment; or at least outside). It is not unusual to be walking down the street and see someone of any age or either gender squatting over a gutter. It’s also not unusual for me to be walking along, see a guy facing a wall or fence…and realize a split second later, “Uh-oh, I need to look the other way!”

Once I was on my cell phone in the middle of a field, and was so involved in the conversation that it took me a while to realize that no matter which direction I faced, I was looking at someone who was using the Great Outdoors. Yipes - there was no “safe” place to look!

Hmm, I quickly thought: it was obvious that no one around me minded taking care of his business in front of a woman. If they weren’t minding, should I?

Guess I’m just too American, ’cause I was minding.

Note: I’d written this yesterday; last night as I was heading home, I rounded a corner and almost tripped over a man who was hugging the building. “Good evening,” he said conversationally in the local dialect. I answered just as casually, but with an inward sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment