(Referred to in my dad’s email in the last post)
So I was walking to catch a taxi, when a young man stepped in front of me and blocked my way. “These are all Muslim children,” he proudly announced as he motioned 15-20 children to gather around us. “Oh, I’m so sorry,” I replied. “I wish they were all Christian children.” (Well, what did he expect me to say?!) “We wish you were Muslim,” he retorted. “Then you would have to dress like this,” and he motioned to one of the little girls who was dressed in the full Muslim costume. (Hint: when you are trying to convert a girl to your religion, don’t mention that she’d be forced to dress drably from head to toe when she’s comfortably attired in an attractive African outfit; it’s really not your most persuasive point.)
“Did you know that when we stand before God, He will look at our hearts, not at how we appear on the outside?” I asked the children, turning away from the man. “He wants us to be clean and perfect in our hearts: but can we do that?” “He wants you to dress like this,” interjected the young man. “How can you make your heart clean?” I continued talking to the children. “Imagine that God wants our hearts to be like pure water: but every time we do something wrong, it’s like we are adding poison to our water. We can keep doing good things to add clean water to our cups, but no matter how much clean water we put in, we can never take out the poison that we keep adding.” “Excuse me,” said the young man, “but I have to leave to say my prayers.” “It’s OK,” I said, and continued talking to the children about the need for blood to take away our sins, and Jesus’ perfect sacrifice on our behalf.
It was only afterward that I marveled anew at this chance opportunity God had given, using a devout Muslim who was only trying to harass me to give an opening for preaching the Gospel to children who needed to hear. Praise Him for using ALL circumstances for His glory!
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, a lot of quick-thinking there on your part. The Holy Spirit must have really been prompting you, 'cause this is absolutely amazing. Great boldness, truth, and love. Praise the Lord! :)
ReplyDeleteLeah, do you ever think about the fact that one day, when all things have been made perfect and all believers are together that you will rejoice with these whom you have helped to lead out of darkness? Maybe you won't encounter them again in this present life, but the future holds great reunions for you from this year in Ghana.
ReplyDeleteCaris - there was less quick thinking, I think, and a lot more on-the-spot praying! I didn't have time to think ahead, only to keep praying for the right words as I kept talking. =)
ReplyDeleteMiss Mary - indeed I do! There are several new Christians to whom I've recently said, "If I never get to return to Ghana [even though I'm praying that God will make a way for me to do so!], at least we'll see each other again in heaven." What a joyous occasion that will be!