Mahmoud and approximately 35 students had given their lives to Christ in the morning, but God wasn’t quite done working in people’s hearts that day. In the afternoon we got a call from Alit, who said he had told his friend “Saka” about Jesus, and could he bring Saka to meet with us and hear more?
Absolutely! We welcomed Alit and Saka into our office, presented the latter with his own Bible, talked a bit more about Jesus and new birth, and then were overjoyed to lead Saka in a prayer of repentance.
Two days later my phone rang. “Hi, Leah, this is ‘Rahama,’” said the young woman at the other end. Rahama, Rahama – “How do I know you?” I asked, trying to figure out how a stranger could have gotten my number, which I’m so careful about giving out. “I’m Alit’s sister,” she said. “He told me about Jesus, and I was wondering whether I could meet you.”
Um, yeah, I think I could make time for that. When she and Alit arrived three hours later, they clarified that Rahama was actually just Alit’s good friend who came from the same tribe, boarded at the same house, and worked at the same school as he did: we just hadn’t met her because she oversees the nursery classes. She too carefully listened, received her Bible, and accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior.
Meanwhile, Alit’s face – the one that had seemed so impervious and skeptical before – is brimming with joy these days. Alit has found the Love of his life.
What a challenge to the rest of us!
P.S. One of the responsibilities Pastor Tirumbu anticipated for me prior to my arrival in Ghana was “Teach in elementary school.” Neither of us had any idea that God would cause this responsibility to take the form it has, however! Isn’t God good?!
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One plants, another waters, but God gives the increase. We are rejoicing with you in this bountiful harvest, and pray that God will send revival in the U.S. as well.
ReplyDelete