Wednesday, February 10, 2010

More Village Evangelism Stories

God continues to be at work in this area, reaching villagers for Christ. Amos and his friends have gone to two new villages thus far in February – below is a vignette from each location to give a glimpse of what God is doing in this corner of the world…and to inspire each of us to continual prayer for those who are hearing the saving message of Jesus Christ for the first time.

First of all, one of the items that Daddy and Benjamin were able to bring with them was a set of Jesus Films ordered by Mr. Joe in a number of local dialects. “Jesus will speak to people in their own language!” Amos exclaimed excitedly when he saw them, eagerly anticipating the fact that rather than translate for 90 minutes straight, he could sit back, enjoy the show, and pray for all those watching.

So off the team went to show the Jesus Film in Village #4 (to differentiate February’s villages from the ones reached in November: for a number of reasons, the evangelistic outreaches planned for December and January did not occur) – and after the showing, five people came forward to commit their lives to Christ! When the team followed up two days later, the chief pulled Amos aside and said, “I want you to know that I am one of you: I heard your words, and I too believe in Jesus. Now, since I just became chief a year ago, and since this village has been Muslim as far as we can remember, I cannot publicly confess Jesus at this time. But I am praying that your work will grow, and that the church will grow, so that one day soon I can tell all that I too believe in Jesus!”

When the team went to Village #5 to greet the chief and request permission to show the Jesus Film, one of his elders heard what would be presented, and promised to be the first member of the new church. Sure enough, when the altar call was given at the end, this elder was among the twenty who responded.

There’s a third village on this month’s schedule…please pray that God is already preparing people’s hearts in that location, and will bring these plans to pass as well!

The lighting’s not too good, because after all, these villagers were watching the Jesus Film at night.

1 comment: