Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Freedom in Corporate Worship

One friend left the following comment in a previous post: “My experience was that most of the Ghanaian believers had a level of joy in their worship and, more importantly, in their lives that is not experienced on a regular basis by churches in the West. It’s not that we don’t have joy, we do. But we have a lot of ‘things’ that get in the way of our joy. The majority of Ghanaian believers have little to nothing of this world’s goods, but their lives are full of Jesus. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts...”

My friend’s observations are very valid, and it’s hard for any Western visitor to miss the contrast between the corporate worship styles of Africans (relatively vibrant) and Westerners (relatively dull). It’s also hard to miss the economic contrast between Westerners, who – to use one example – throw away so much food each day, and Africans, who literally eat bones, fish heads, and cow hide to stretch the caloric potential of the stuff that comprises their diets.

I’ll comment on the corporate worship styles today, and on the economic disparities in a later post.

As I’ve lived among lovely Africans for seven months, my observation has been that in all areas of life, they feel freer to express their emotions than do Westerners. At funerals, they wail at full volume, beating their chests and clasping their heads. When they are annoyed, they yell and gesticulate at one another in public, where we would smolder internally. We consider it polite to avert our gaze when passing an embarrassing or distressing scene; but one of my well-mannered friends here stated without hesitation, “Oh no, we would crowd around to see what is happening” – and I’ve seen them crowd around accidents, arguments, and anything in between.

By the same token, where we contain our joy within ourselves – so as not to offend the sensibilities of those around us; let’s face it, if I danced up to the front in my home church, I would definitely be a distraction! – Africans freely express their joy through rambunctious clapping and free movements throughout the church auditorium. There is “method in the madness,” and what seems chaotic at first is actually well-contained and regulated. Joy is as infectious as any other emotion, so being in a room full of people who are expressing their delight in worshipping God reminds me that I AM glad to be in the house of the Lord…and helps me feel uninhibited in expressing that joy, whether it be through clapping or through a little swaying (OK, so I’m not THAT African yet ;) ).

Corporate worship in Africa IS a joy, and I praise the Lord for letting me experience the freedom to worship with my heart, soul, mind, and STRENGTH!

Benjamin dancing with one of our church mamas in an orderly “circle dance” at the front of the church

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to dancing with you at our worship service upon your return! ok, so in America, we dance in our hearts but our hands are lifted freely up to the Throne of grace to honor the same Father of Love :)

    ReplyDelete