That is what our power supply (and, as a result, the internet connection) is like on a regular basis here! “That is how you know you are in Africa,” I’m told. Often even when there is power, there is either no internet connection or a very slow one. Last week I was in the middle of composing a blog post that was going to end with prayer for rain when – poof! A blast of wind shook the building, the lights went off, and the rain rain rain came down down down. No matter, we were doing just fine – it’s good my mom can observe that even when I can’t communicate with “the outside world,” I’m A-OK ;). The world here continues nonetheless. They say the internet can be down for up to two weeks sometimes, so if there’s a great gap in communication, I’m sure that “no news is good news.” =)
Thank the Lord that there has been electric power at night thus far, because that’s what keeps the fans running; and after the heat of the day, a little air movement is much appreciated. The ceiling fan in our bedroom broke last week when the cord got caught by the blades and snapped. (All electrical wiring in the house at which I am staying is affixed to the surfaces of walls and ceilings; none of it is threaded through the walls or ceilings!) Fortunately, there was a free-standing fan that we were able to borrow that night, and the ceiling fan was fixed the next day. Although there is no air-conditioning at the house, we have found the indoor temperature very comfortable most of the time.
Gotta go help in the cafeteria now – pray that I will soon have the ability (especially a fast internet connection) to upload some PICTURES. There are a few all ready to go as soon as the opportunity arises. =)
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will pray that you acclimate to the heat (and that your celing fans run forever)! It's 85º here today and I want to lounge like the cats- definitely not what I ought to be doing.
ReplyDeleteLeah - I am sure you already thought of this because you are quite intelligent, but one way to be sure you don't lose your post middway would be to type it in "Word" and save as you go, then when it's done, you can C&P it into your blog. That way you don't have to feel frustrated if it crashes in the middle of a thought!
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, I am so glad that you are finding comfort at night, that would be the most "miserable" time to be hot.
Is the cafeteria in one of the orphanages? Are the kids so excited to have you there? Have you been to the market yet? I know, I have a lot of questions!
Talk to you soon! =]
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteNow that I have this comment thing worked out so that I can comment on my own blog ;)
- The cafeteria is at the office where I work. Maybe someday I'll write about the "campus" at which I'm working. =)
- There are many kids who've been excited to have me here. In fact, I'll write up a little story about that in a post pretty soon. Thanks for inspiring me.
- Haven't been to the open-air market this time around, only the supermarket. But no doubt I'll get my turn in the year I'll be here.
Keep the questions coming - they do make for good "blog fodder." =)