Friday, June 26, 2009

Guest post from my mom =)

Leah has asked me, now that I’m adjusted to the time change and starting to get acclimated, to share a few of my thoughts. I appreciate her willingness to allow me to contribute.

First, I thank God for protecting us on our flights and during our time here. I am so grateful to see for myself the good care the Tirumbus (as Leah introduced them in her letter) are taking of our precious girl (and me), and how friendly everyone is. I am reassured to have Leah in good hands, and pleased to see for myself the good works being done here. Pastor Tirumbu is a very godly man, full of praise and aware of the need for prayer above all else.

We have had the privilege of visiting an orphanage, thus fulfilling a lifelong dream of mine. It was heartwarming to see the good care these children receive, and how they are flourishing. Leah reminded me of James 1:27, “pure religion and undefiled in the sight of God is to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction.”

We also have been able to visit the schools pastor Tirumbu has established, along with their sanitation and water projects. Things like bathrooms and clean, flowing water are such a help to the local people in staying healthy.

Pastor Tirumbu kindly took us to a village with mud huts, where the chief graciously extended greetings to us. As an “older woman,” I was presented with a gift of eggs! I marvel at the generosity of these poor people, but am glad to see the progress they are making with a school and church in a previously unreached area.

The food has been mostly rice, chicken, tomato sauce, yams (which look and taste more like potatoes to me), and plantains (which look like bananas.) I am relieved to have access to filtered water at all times.

While I miss my family, and will miss Leah when I leave, I know God will use her and bless her during the coming year. Now I will be able to pray more specifically for the people she mentions, and I hope to share the photos I took, so others can see as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment