Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Gypsies of Ghana

When Abba first told me about the Fulani, I couldn’t help thinking that they sounded very gypsy-like. Called “The Forest People,” they are the cattle-herders of northern Ghana, despised nomads who are treated with suspicion by other tribes. They adorn themselves with braids, jewelry, and color, have a reputation for stealing, cast spells, and have lovely ethnic characteristics! To Abba’s knowledge, no one is systematically reaching out to this group.

The Fulani have been on my heart ever since I first heard about them. Imagine my delight to find that there was a troop of them passing through the village where we spent the night. Our group got to spend time interacting with all the children; the university students shared mosquito nets, purses, and other items with the Fulani, and used a Fulani machete to hack at some brush.

Beautiful Fulani girls

I have to warn my dad that it seems there’s a guy who’s seriously interested in me: unfortunately, I didn’t get a good picture of him, but the boy standing second from left couldn’t get enough of me: he was always gazing at me, smiling shyly at me, reaching out to touch me…and when we played Duck-Duck-Goose, he was always bumping out of place whoever was sitting next to me, just so he could occupy that spot. ;)

My little Fulani boyfriend, in blue and white

Please pray with me for the Fulani: may God raise people up to work among them and bring many to salvation in the years to come!

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart, Leah. I'm praying in agreement with you!

    Btw.. on a more shallow note.. :) Were you able to try the fried cheese they make??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audra - yes, I've had some of the fried Fulani goat cheese: very welcome, because as you know, cheese is a scarce commodity in Ghana. ;) Thanks for recommending!

    Hope you're doing well, and see you soon. Thanks for all your prayers!

    ReplyDelete