You may recall that I started learning Arabic in November. Although people don’t walk the streets of Ghana speaking Arabic, Pastor Tirumbu suggested that I learn some in case God might want to have me interact with devout Muslims in that language. At the time, I figured God had one of two reasons for enrolling me in Arabic school: either I would need to understand Arabic at some point in the future, or God wanted to use me in the life of our Muslim instructor, “Rashid.” It didn’t take Mr. Joe and me long to realize that Rashid was actually a very kind and gentle man who had initially avoided eye contact with me out of politeness and shyness rather than out of a Muslim scorn of women.
Well, seeing as we gave up on Arabic after three months, when we were on the third page of our textbook (but I assure you there’s a lot to learn on each page!), I was left with one possibility: God wanted Rashid to become a Christian. Mr. Joe did continue to take lessons from Rashid in the local dialect, and one morning had a long conversation with him about Christ. Rashid listened politely but clearly indicated that Christianity was not for him.
Several times as I walked through town, Rashid would see me and offer me a ride home on his motorbike. I always declined his offer until one day when I was running quite late, and realized that if I continued walking, it would be dark well before I reached home. As we whizzed along, I was looking at the back of his head and felt very strongly, “God, You want this man to become a Christian!” From that day I began to pray with more urgency for his salvation.
The next time I saw him, he and Mr. Joe went out for a meal together, during which Mr. Joe had a chance to re-extend the invitation to accept Christ. When they returned, Rashid sat quietly in our office for some time, then got up and leaned across my desk to whisper, “Leah, I’m now a Christian.” “What?” I exclaimed in partial disbelief. “What do you think I said?” he asked. “It sounded as though you said you are now a Christian: but I wasn’t sure whether I heard correctly!” I laughed. “You heard correctly,” he assured me.
Praise God with me for Rashid’s salvation…and for calling me to learn a little Arabic. =D
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! =)
ReplyDeleteWhen you get home you should print out your blogs and keep them as a written record of your days in Ghana. In a year's time you will probably find it hard to believe that you did the things you did, and lived the way you have for a year.
ReplyDeleteCaris - thanks for rejoicing with us and with all them angels up in heaven =)
ReplyDeleteMiss Mary - yes, the life here is definitely different from life in the U.S. In addition to the blog, I have over 2 full journals of the time here, plus near-daily emails to my family: so there should be plenty of documentation of the time here. =D The journals and the emails reveal more of the struggles than made it onto the blog - but the joys have far outweighed the frustrations, and I’m sure that the year in Ghana will grow only rosier in memory! =)
I fall at the feet of our God, whose ways and love toward us are so lofty, that He takes my breath away! I thank God that He is life and sustainer of all. In the midst of pure evil, He waits patiently long-suffering for those that are His to come to Him. We say come to Him all that are heavy laden and come Lord Jesus!
ReplyDelete