“What did you think when you first heard us talking about Jesus in your classroom?” I asked Alit earlier this week. The answer from this formerly Muslim boy was so revealing. “My heart was touched,” he said, “and as I heard what you said, I recognized that it was the truth. I thought about it a lot to make sure, and knew you were speaking the words of God. But if you had never come to tell me, I would have never known.”
Wow – what a visible demonstration of Romans 10:15, where Paul says that faith comes from hearing God’s Word, which people will never hear unless someone goes to share it with them. All Alit needed was to hear the truth, and God’s Spirit took care of the rest. What other people come across our paths who just need us to open our mouths about the treasure in our possession?
Although Alit’s brother, in whose house he lives, knows about Alit’s new faith, and has said “You’re old enough to make your own choices,” Alit knows that his father back in the village will not be pleased to hear of his son’s conversion, and will cut off all support once he does know. “Right now, I’m hiding the news from my father. I don’t want to tell him until I have my own business established so I can support myself.”
In other news, I went to the first session with the nursery classes (ages 3-6), where Rahama counted 96 little ones in attendance! We sang songs, and I related the creation account, while two new teachers took turns translating. At the end, I asked the children why, if God said everything He created was very good, NOT everything is very good today – why are some of them coughing? Why do they cry? Why is there death? “Come back next week to find out,” I smiled. “Oh,” the teachers immediately appealed, “Can’t we go just a little further today?” “No, I have to go. Next week,” I laughed; but please be praying for these teachers, whose interest seems to be piqued. The other teachers have been in their late teens or early twenties, but these two are older women. God’s work in hearts certainly isn’t limited by age, however. May He draw many in this new classroom to Himself, even as He’s been at work in other classrooms at the school!
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm enjoying these "school stories" very much. For one thing, it's so startling to read about how you walk into a school and present Christianity with the help of the teachers!
ReplyDelete-- SJ