Monday, October 19, 2009

Questions and Answers – 9

Have there been any interesting language or cultural misunderstandings you’re up to sharing?

A fellow staff member exchanged greetings with me one morning, and I gave appropriate replies to his “Good morning,” “How are you?” and “Did you sleep well?” “How is…?” he asked, and recognizing the “how is” part of his question, I gave the reply, “Just fine.” “No, no,” he reproved me. “I asked you how your husband is. But you don’t have a husband, do you?” “No,” I humbly replied, and had him teach me how to say “I don’t have a husband.” “That was a trick question,” I accused him, and his eyes just twinkled.

Would you believe he tripped me up on the very same question two days later? But third time’s the charm, and I finally got it right!


Questions that are inappropriate in America are thoroughly appropriate here. I can’t keep count of how often I’ve been asked my age or why I haven’t yet gotten married (and if weight was something Africans worried about – they don’t, rather refreshingly, and are just as happy fat as not – I’m sure I’d get questioned on that too!), and as I was discussing this with Abba one day, he pointed out that there are other things which are offensive in America which aren’t here. “For example, if I say ‘---- you!’ that’s not a bad thing here, but Americans say it is.” “Abba!” I exclaimed in shock. “Yes, that’s a very bad word! Don’t use it!!” “But ‘----’ even appears in American movies,” he pointed out, “so I just don’t understand why it’s so offensive.” “Yes, but movies get a very bad rating if they use that word,” I declared. “Hmm. Well, when we say ‘---- you!’ we’re just joking with you,” he assured me. “You don’t have keep saying it,” I pointed out, regaining my sense of humor.

It turned out to be a good thing Abba related this information to me, however, as the very next day a sweet-as-can-be girl on staff used it when talking with a guy in my office. Thank the Lord that I knew not to be offended or shocked at her vocabulary. NOT that I plan to add it to my vocabulary at ALL!

Later on the same week, some boys were telling me how the thumbs-up sign is very offensive here. “Really?” I exclaimed, unconsciously giving it. “This is bad?” Yes, they assured me. “Well, this is just a way of expressing that something is positive,” I said, unconsciously demonstrating the sign again. “So if you ask me how something is going, I would just do this; what do you do?” As I kept repeating the sign by way of demonstration, I suddenly realized that it is so totally non-offensive to me, I was using it without a second thought. And that’s what it had been like for Abba when he kept swearing at me!

Note: Questions 6-11 were all provided by one dear friend who was curious about different aspects of life here that hadn’t necessarily been addressed on this blog yet. You too can ask questions – I welcome your ideas for blog material. =)

1 comment:

  1. I cannot stop laughing! Oh, Leah. That is just priceless!! It reminds me of my dad's story about a man from the middle east who was at Oakbrook--he kept saying "oh, what the h***"--he was using it in the sense of "oh well," or "that's just the way it goes." After getting over his shock, my dad explained that was something Christians normally didn't say and the poor guy was so confused. He was always hearing it said. He had a lot of questions about what was wrong with it, etc...

    ReplyDelete